Tuesday 10 April 2012

Data Protection Act 1998

I have just read through the Data protection act 1998 which explains how you can lawfully use personal information an individual has given you.
I have understood it as follows:

1. Information must be processed clearly and fairly. Permission must be granted by the individual to have it collected and they must understand what it is being used for.

2. Data can only be used for what you have told the individual it will be used for.

3. The information obtained must be necessary for my inquiry and I may not ask random information for no appartent reason.

4. The information I process must be accurate and up to date.

5. Information must not be held for any longer than is necessary. It must be destroyed when my inquiry is finished.

6. The individual I obtain information from has the right to a) a copy of the information I use. b) Object to me processing the information. c) Prevent the processing for market research. d) Demand to erase inaccurate information. e) Claim compensation for any inaccurate information processed,.

7. Information must be kept secure and kept away from any thrid parties.

8. Information can not be processed out of the EU

Having acknowledged these points, I have reflected over how I will ensure I apply them. Everyone who agrees to provide personal information will be shown my covering letter information so that they are aware of the reason I am requesting personal information. As my letter states, they are informed that they have the opportunity to see the data they have provided in my inquiry, should they so desire.
I will only be using the information provided in order to do my inquiry and the all information I request will be relevent to the inquiry. On completion, I will be destroying all data and information I have obtained. I will be deleating my survey on SurveyMonkey as the information will no longer be necessary. All information I have received is on my personal laptop and I shall delete it once my inquiry is over to ensure no third parties see it in the future. Both my laptop and survey are protected by personal passwords. I will not be processing information outside of the UK.



No comments:

Post a Comment